August 2, 2002 - Mom Blames Toxic Mold In Child's Death
An Oklahoma mother said toxic mold killed her 5-month-old daughter and she insisted her apartment complex did nothing about it. Melissa Mullins of Kingfisher was raising her daughter in the Meeker Meadows Apartments. The girl was suffering from symptoms of toxic mold before she died two years ago.
The medical examiner found that the girl died of bronchial pneumonia, but recent awareness of toxic mold dangers raised her mother's attention. "I honestly think it was toxic mold -- day after day -- breathing in the poison," she said. Twenty-one plaintiffs have filed a lawsuit against the owner of the apartments, claiming that the owner knew about the problem, but did nothing to fix it. The owner tested the apartment this week and said he is fixing water damage under the units.
No tests provide conclusive evidence that the molds are toxic.